Tuesday, August 9, 2011

LOOKING BACK ON THE OTIS RETREAT

The Otis retreat was so full of non-stop activities that I could hardly catch my breath and certainly did not have time or energy to post on this blog.

Now that I have had some time to reflect, my overwhelming response to the experience is this:

I learned a great deal about using a camera, creating a simple visual effect, editing in iMovie and working with iDVD.

I loved the creative process of envisioning a cinematic image

I hated the intensely time consuming process of lugging the equipment, setting up, dealing with noise, lack of light, technical difficulties, etc.

I was frustrated by the fact that when we screened our tiny video during the final event (thank you Traci for attending!) the sound malfunctioned and we had a gravely, then silent film.

Final conclusion:  I love theatre more than ever; I cannot watch a film now without trying to figure out if a shot is a camera tilt, crane or over the shoulder close-up; and I am grateful for the opportunity to discover and learn so much is such a short amount of time!


3 comments:

  1. So glad the experience was worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my little experience with film making - sound is always the biggest issue. Ugh! I'm sorry about the sound malfunction - but it sounds like a really great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it turns out, the sound did finally kick in for the second showing of our clip and the poem under my visual effect was lovely. So the story has an almost happy ending!

    ReplyDelete