Saturday, June 25, 2011

WICKED: not what I had hoped for

Maybe it's me, but I just need more substance to really buy sitting thru a huge bgt production or maybe any bgt production. Yes, it was a delightful and witty story. Yes, the actors were excellent and the singing was terrific. But after War Horse and even Memphis, (which had subject matter that meant something)Wicked seemed like so much fluff. And the visual effects that I had hoped for seemed minimal compared to what I had just recently seen--- except for the time when Elphaba went up into the sky on her broom-- thanks to amazing lighting effects , that was spectacular. Oddly, one of the times when they could have used multimedia effects (when Elphaba fizzles and apparently dies) they employed the lowest tech technique imaginable: an actor literally hand pulled a muslin half curtain across the stage and the actors appeared as shadows behind it. It was effective, but so unlike anything else in the show.

I did enjoy seeing the use of cut out miniature scenery that was backlit and appeared way upstage. It added depth and perspective to the stage picture and is something I can easily employ.

Am now on my way back to DC via Bolt Bus ($20 one way, complete with wifi). Looking forward to visiting a few exhibits at the Smithsonian, visiting with friends and having really good food. DC has become a foodie paradise and always has had terrific sea food.

Final food report from NY: I had a little argument with the elderly man behind Zabars's smoked fish counter. I wanted To buy a little piece of whitefish---just a snack. He said absolutely not! He would only sell me a hefty chunk, so I had to pass. No amount of begging would persuade him. Will have to go to Canter's when I get back home if the urge still persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment