Tuesday, May 24, 2011

FINALLY, THE HOPED FOR DIALOGUE WITH THE DIRECTORS

MONDAY

Today I will try to be brief.  I am getting the feeling that I am writing too much, but then again, I have a lot to say!

Food report:  finally found a little take out shop right down the street from the hotel called Chilimili.  Advertises itself as serving "really healthy food". Guess what?  They do.  I had a combo of sides:  chickpea salad, "spicy bulgar" (that was actually whole wheat couscous), and lentil salad.  Just the fiber I was pining for.  That,  accompanied by a really good tzatziki and a little bread and lots of water felt really good.  I know you are supposed to honor the food of the country that you are visiting, but Copenhagen is very cosmopolitan and seems to serve some of everything.  And if you don't eat meat, creamed soups or pickled fish, it is hard to branch out.  So I will not beef guilty.  (I may have to try the Mexican place around the corner just out of curiosity)

FESTIVAL REPORT:  At the Festival center, I saw an installation called "Happy Glimmer" done by a French visual artist who regularly collaborates with theatre companies. It was delightfully “low tech” but with all the elements of visual effects that might be done with a computer. I am going to see a production on Saturday for which he did the visual effects; will report more then.  I spent some time talking with him and his colleagues after I saw the installation and he walked me thru each exhibit and explained how the effects were done.  He had used miniatures, simple lights, lenses from various sources and screens.  Very compelling and doable.  I am going to think about using this technique next fall.

In the evening, after a long and winding walk to a small theatre in the 4th floor walk up of a 1970’s style coffee house (American pop star and folk posters lining the walls; a Bob Dylan tribute scheduled for that evening), I saw what has to be the most unique production I have ever witnessed:  “The Girl From Leningrad”, by a Russian company, is an anti fascist puppet show mixed with video and still images of the Siege of Leningrad combined with contemporary video footage.  For ages 12 and up, it was a history lesson like I might choose to do but with unbelievable visual effects.  Hard to explain in brief--at times is appeared that the puppets were in the vido as 3D images.  (Really amazing  but too long.  This seems to be a theme here--over written pieces that could use a good 10-20 minutes chopped off.  Every single person, no matter from what country, has remarked about this). However, the story line was so powerful and I was a bit saddened but not surprised to learn that most Russian children are not being taught the history of this brave fight that the Red Army waged against Hitler’s attempt to starve and destroy the city.  This is why the company chose to do this piece, to honor those who fought and died and survived.  A slide at the beginning says:  “This is dedicated to our grannies”.  I get chocked up just typing it.

I spent some time talking to the director after the performance and he showed me "backstage"; the puppets, the light set up, the screen, the puppet props.  Then he explained how they were able to use front projection that left a space for the “actors” (the puppets).  I took his card—he has a theatre school in Boston where he teaches puppet technique and incorporating the multimedia.  A year from now when he is finished touring I may try to connect with him there.

With images and emotions swirling in my head I will try to sleep and am looking forward to Tuesday’s adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment